Monday, October 8, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, October 9, 2007


When men make gods, there is no God!

- Eugene O’Neill, playwright, whose
play “The Iceman Cometh”
opened on Broadway on this day,
1946 (3 months after I was born!)


Was it Cole who wrote the song “Let’s Fall in Love”?? Everybody does it, right?

Well, everybody “makes God in their own image”. 99% of the “God” that exists today is “(wo)man made”. Let’s be honest. I do it. I believe that I have met God. That God is Unconditional Love. God is Truth - “truth” being always Love, and a willingness to acknowledge Love in every person and relationship. God is Justice - where we are called to make sure that every person has the means to Life that God wishes for all. God is Mercy - Oh God, how wonderful to know that we will not be judged by any other criterion than Understanding of our Human Nature, forever struggling with Good and Evil. Knowing that every person is my brother or sister. Bone of my bone, Flesh of my Flesh.

God, however, laughs. God finds ways to “tell” us that we can’t “make” Her. God continues to resist our prejudices, our fears, our rigidity, our narrowness (both of ourselves and of the World). And God waits. Waits. Waits for us to shake free of our little boxes, where we think we want to live with our limitations, our fears. But, when we break apart, we are free, free, free! Christ’s vision of a Unity envelopes us. And that’s the way we want to live. The way we want the World to be.

Let’s have the courage to embrace the “real” God. Be Kind. Be Thoughtful. Be Gentle. Is this not what people said of Jesus? Do not make God “in your own image”. If we do, there is no God.

God is God. I like the God who Is, beyond my prejudices and fears.

Brian+

No comments: