Sunday, October 28, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, October 29, 2007


The ancient masters were profound and stable.
Their wisdom was unfathomable.
There is no way to describe it; all we can describe is their appearance.

They were careful as someone crossing an iced-over stream.
Alert as a warrior in enemy territory. Courteous as a guest.
Fluid as melting ice. Shapable as a block of wood.
Receptive as a valley. Clear as a glass of water.

Do you have the patience to wait
until your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action rises by itself?

The Master doesn't seek fulfillment.
Not seeking, not expecting,
she is present, and can welcome all things.

- Loa-tzu, Chinese teacher


Well …………………… ah, No.

I’d like to be able to say Yes, I can “wait until the mud settles”. But, not as a conscious principle, alas. Not most of the time anyway. I most often want to act quickly, because I’m a terrible procrastinator, and I will feel even more guilty if I do nothing.

But! Procrastination has ironically helped me. While I fight within myself, time goes by. And you know what? 95% of the time, things just “go away”. And the 5% that doesn’t, I usually have to do something about - and by then I and it/they have “cooled down” somewhat and am more ready to work things out a little more cool-headedly.

It’s “your mud” (i.e., my) that has to settle. So the situation can be seen as clearly as possible, particularly the way in which I myself am muddying the waters and obscuring the clarity of a solution or response. This I hope that I can learn.

I’d better get off my procrastinating rear end and get at it!!

Brian+

No comments: