Monday, October 1, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, October 2, 2007





Quotes and Comments from me on Sting, artist and musician, born on this day, 1951.
Fascinating, talented, complex human being.


I can't really change my life to accommodate people
who are jealous. I don't see why I should.


Joseph didn’t. You remember Joseph - of the coat of many colours? His jealous brothers sold him into slavery because they were jealous of their father’s love for Joseph. Joseph claimed himself - and was able to help his family and a whole nation to survive. There’s an obvious lesson there. God loves those whom the socially acceptable throw away. They are planting the seeds of their own destruction.

I come from a family of losers, and I've rejected
my family as something I don't want to be like.

I come from a Family of Losers. It’s called the Human Race. We all do. Jesus “rejected” His family, in a powerful metaphorical sense. People came to Him and said that His family were outside where He was teaching and wanted to see Him, and take Him away because they thought He was mad.. Jesus looked around and said, “Those who do my Father’s will - to love - they are my mother and father and brothers and sisters”. We all must reject the Family of Losers for the Family of Lovers. And the God I know embraces us all as Her Family.

I was brought up as a Catholic and went to church
every week and took the sacraments. It never really
touched the core of my being.


I’m not surprised. My father and all of his eight brothers and sisters, raised in the Roman Catholic Church, left it and, as far as I know, never went to any other religion. They spoke of the meanness of nuns. Of being asked for money not to support a spiritual home but money to buy a place of acceptance. They rebelled against religious oppression and hypocrisy. I must have inherited their spirit. They were, in my perspective, people of integrity.

I've only paid lip service to a spiritual life.


Nonsense. Sting is a man of the Spirit - at least in my view. He has graced to world infinitely more than most of the vicious Robertsons, Dobsons, Osamas, Schlaftleys, Bryants, Jeffs, mullahs, sheiks, Romneys, and so-called “holy” (wo)men, all of whom have only betrayed the founders of their faiths.

Sting: Thank you.

Brian+

No comments: