Thursday, October 18, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, October 19, 2007


"God in his wisdom has provided man with natural forks —
his fingers. Therefore it is an insult to Him to substitute
artificial metallic forks for them when eating."


- Condemnation of the fork by the Roman clergy


I read somewhere that there was a “Feast of the Fork”, celebrating the use of the fork in Europe, 1098. (I suspect it was Garrison Keillor.) From where came the fork into Europe? No one is sure. I think all the “facts” here are dubious. But I like such dubious things!

There really are, however, words of condemnation from the Roman clergy, as quoted above. And there lies a caution. Often, people who “believe in God” are sure that they speak for God. (Priests are often special culprits.) And often such people condemn new understandings, new ideas, as ungodly. God’s followers have caused the deaths of millions throughout history, most often in a vain attempt to preserve their power and authority.

From my perspective, a determined effort to preserve the status quo is always suspect. “God” is not essentially about the preservation of the status quo. God is essentially about transformation and change. Which is why it “is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God”. When I hear people condemning a “new thing”, I’m on my guard. And I’m excited! To me it’s a sign that God is about Her usual wonderful mischief, pointing me to a new possibility. As soon as a Hindu tells me that there has to be a caste system, I know what God is whispering. Women as inferior. Galileo excommunicated. Slavery justified. A male-only priesthood. I feel the fear, and I know where to look for the Light.

“Behold I have begun a new thing!” When I sense that call to newness, or hear the condemnation of the “establishment”, I perk up and get ready for the divine adventure.

Brian+

No comments: