Monday, November 19, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, November 20, 2007


Mr. Foster, when you beat our teams, it gives us a black eye.

- Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Federal judge (!) and
Baseball Commissioner, born on this day, 1866


I would hope that no one would condemn me as “conventional”! I would hate to think that I was predictable. The worst of judgments, to my way of thinking. Yes, yes, I have spent my Life exulting in the fact that I surprise people, in everything from what I wear to what I think. Does that indicate a jolly wickedness, or a deep seated insecurity? You know, I care not!

Now who who knows me would think that I would ever quote a sports person?! I loathe sports and everything that has to do with competition. Just proves that I can be open and flexible and ….. surprising!

Mr. Landis said these words to Rube Foster, founder of the Negro National League, in 1923. 1923! What I don’t know is, did they know each other or have a relationship? Because it is delightful in its wit! Did Mr. Justice Landis know that when Mr. Foster got this message, he would chuckle???? Did they both know what the joke was?

A “black” eye. Rapier-like, yes. But more ….. human and humane. I like to think that Mr. Landis and Mr. Foster sat and laughed with a beer on a porch somewhere, away from the prying eyes of the Fascist so-called Christian storm troopers.

When people become Buddhists, does that give Christians a “black” eye? When they become Muslims, does that give Christians a “black” eye? Or Jains? Or Pagans? Or Wiccan? Or Atheists?

No, friends. It simply means that people are looking for an inner discipline that makes sense of their Lives. If Christianity abuses them, demeans them, doesn’t answer their questions with respect, they will look elsewhere. It is “our” job to show them, by loving them with the intensity of The Christ, that we, as does God, honour their humanity, their uniqueness, their Mystery. And more ….. Love them.

As we approach Thanksgiving, give thanks for all human beings, in their incredible Diversity.

Better: honour them by saluting their Beauty.

Brian+

No comments: