Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, November 29, 2007


He whose only concern had been to announce the unconditional love of God
had only one question to ask, "Do you love me?"......."Do you know the incarnate
God?" In our world of loneliness and despair, there is an enormous need for men
and women who know the heart of God, a heart that forgives, that cares, that
reaches out and wants to heal. In that heart there is no suspicion, no vindictiveness,
no resentment, and not a tinge of hatred. It is a heart that only wants to give love
and receive love in response. It is a heart that suffers immensely because it sees the
magnitude of human pain and the great resistance to trusting the heart of God who
wants to offer consolation and hope.


- Henri Nouwen,


Well, I have work to do. I want to be the kind of person that Henri Nouwen describes. An “announcer of the unconditional Love of God” ….. who “forgives, cares, reaches out, wants to heal”. But ….. I have to confess that there is much suspicion, vindictiveness, resentment, hatred in my heart at times. And I am further concerned that those things are shading my life and my living while I am unaware.

Perhaps I am too fortunate, that I don’t see ….. no, I see it, but rather don’t feel ….. the magnitude of human pain, especially of those I see as “enemies”.

Here is the role of “true religion”. To help me see the vision, to feel the suffering, to understand the resistance to trusting ….. to be free to offer hope and consolation to all. When I can feel this way about George Bush, I will be home free - and believe me, only Grace will get me there!

Pray for me.

Brian+

No comments: