Thursday, November 8, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, November 9, 2007


By the time we hit fifty, we have learned our hardest lessons.
We have found out that only a few things are really important.
We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.


- Marie Dressler (Leila Marie Koerber), actress, born on
this day in Canada, 1869



Oh Lordy! Who could forget Marie Dressler as “Min”, alongside Wallace Beery as “Bill” in that great film! She won the Academy Award that year (1930) for her performance. She was great as the owner of a tough dockside hotel, struggling to know what to do for the young girl she took in and raised. I’ve seen the movie three times - I just love Marie’s strong character and her gutsy acting.

Marie might better have said, “By fifty, we ought to have learned our hardest lessons ….”. I don’t think I can say that I have. O, I know what’s important, I think, at least for me. But I continue to allow all sorts of other things to take up my time and energies. I’ll have to take some quiet time and really think about why that is. Why is it that I still find myself in a rush all day long, doing several things at the same time, not leaving enough time, dashing to appointments having left just seconds to get there – and being in a fury when someone or something (perfectly predictable, of course!) gets in my way. Sigh.

Could it be that ….. oh, surely not! ….. that I take myself too seriously?? That I really think that I need to be doing all these things at breakneck speed because I think this means I’m taking Life seriously?? Yikes!

I think I do know, in the center, what’s really important. By 50, most of us probably do. We have learned what is genuinely serious in Life.

If we can just learn not to take ourselves too seriously, we can see all the distractions for what they are. We can let them go. I think this is what Jesus meant in saying, “Take up your cross” - He meant, Live and Die for what’s really important.

After 50, that’s the goal!

Brian+

No comments: