Thursday, November 1, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, November 2, 2007


The world is too much with us;
late and soon, getting and spending,

we lay waste our powers;Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
the winds that will be howling at all hours,

And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.

William Wordsworth "The World Is Too Much With Us"

“We lay waste our powers.” I think so, oh, I think so. Is my perception just clouded by cynicism? I wonder sometimes. I am always grateful for National Public Radio. It helps me not to wallow in discouragement about “the World” that “is too much with us”. Especially on the weekends, the news programs are filled with fascinating people who are doing wonderful, interesting, creative, thoughtful, fresh, kind, artistic, or funny things. I can’t watch TV News - too negative. And even NPR is getting way too filled with news of violent, saddening stuff, so I limit myself to an hour a day.

“We have given our hearts away”. Indeed I think we have. And here is where some words of Jesus come to mind. “Where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.”

Ponder Wordsworth with me today. Are we “out of tune”? Especially if we have given our hearts and minds and all we are to the God of Love and to the building of the Kingdom of Peace? The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon and the howling winds are but symbols of the wonder of Creation. Are we moved?

Treasure whatsoever is lovely, gentle, kind, generous.

Sleeping flowers of divine humanity will unfold.

Brian+

No comments: