Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, May 9, 2007


The metaphor is perhaps one of man's most fruitful potentialities.
Its efficacy verges on magic, and it seems a tool for creation which
God forgot inside one of His creatures when He made him.


- Jose Ortega y Gasset, PhD, Spanish philosopher, author, humanist, poet
who was born on this day, 1883, in Madrid


y Gasset may be speaking a little tongue in cheek. With the image of a doctor botching an operation, he is implying that God did not intend that we humans should have such a brilliant capacity to be like God and create. I think y Gasset is indeed speaking tongue in cheek ….. and I can just see the wicked little smile on his face! From my perspective, and y Gasset’s, there is a little fun in thinking that God “made a mistake” – but that allows us to see the supposed tension between us and God (think Tower of Babel) as a humourous game between God and us. I like the picture!

Obviously I choose quotations that allow me to ride my hobby horses. Naughty I. However, I will say that I prefer Grimm’s Fairy Tales and Aesop’s Fables and most Aboriginal Creation myths as metaphors on Life to the Book of Genesis. For one thing, few things are more tiresome to me than patriarchalism. A very stunted experience of humanity that has misshapen us for millennia and still does. Not only misogynist but boring.

How about trying your hand at “magic” - at creating a metaphor about how male and female came into existence? God didn’t make a mistake. God left that tool there on purpose.

Bear fruitful potentialities! I’ll publish some. Have fun! Play with God.

Brian+

No comments: