Friday, May 11, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, May 11, 2007


I do not paint a portrait to look like the subject, rather
does the person grow to look like his portrait.


- Salvador Dali, artist, born on this day, 1904


Well, I am quite sure that I would not like to grow to look like any “portrait” that Dali painted!

I would, however, like to grow into the image of God. At least the God I now know. Occasionally I ask myself if I would really like to be a Christ-like person. Aside from the fact that I would want to travel more than He did, and have more fun that He seems to have had (“Too much work makes Jack a dull boy.”), yes, I would. I would like to be wise, a healer, insightful, compassionate, a visionary, a radically free soul, fearless.

When I became a monk, I had no real idea why. When I look back, I became a monk because my “archetype” of a holy (i.e., Christlike) person was a monk, seen through the perspective of an idealized Middle Ages! Then I discovered that monks held up a sign – that holiness could be anyone’s , in any path of life. I’m happy to be a priest in this one – and if there is another, I want to be a holy singer-pianoplayer in a bar in Florence, Italy!

The “portrait” of the Divine Lover infuses existence. Dali has a good point.

Brian+

No comments: