Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, May 22, 2007


The Life of Faith is filled with endless horizons.

- a young seminarian, who graduated from seminary
on this day 34 years ago





I did just OK academically in seminary (I went to GTS in 1970, age 24). I was interested in most of the things I studied. But then and now, I am most interested in Mystery. I seem to spend a lot of time “looking for answers”. But Rilke would be proud that I am most interested in Questions, and in the Journey. I could die tomorrow - but that isn’t an issue for me. What matters is every day I awaken to. What will hove up on the horizon? Of my mind, or heart, or spirit, or body. Of the World in all it’s amazing beauty, often sad beauty. Of people in all their amazingness, their dimension of surprise, their strangeness - though I am repulsed by cruelty and flee it, especially my own frightening flashes, mostly of the mind.

Faith, for me, is essentially grounded in the intentional belief in new possibilities, new revelations. It is not belief in the Improbable - that to me is Magic. It is belief in the Unknown as yet to come into view on the horizon if I am willing to sail on into the wonder that beckons, without prejudgment. In this, one cannot let fear rule - and it was the Christ’s “Do not be afraid!” that most enticed me to walk the Path.

It has been an interesting 34 years. I look forward to many more ports of Mystery.

Brian+

No comments: