Monday, January 28, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, January 29, 2008


I believe that every single event in life happens
in an opportunity to choose love over fear.


- Oprah Winfrey, amazing woman, born
on this day, 1954, in Kosciusko, Mississippi


A friend of mine, a deacon in the Episcopal Church, lives in Kosciusko MS. So I got to see Oprah’s birthplace on the occasion of my friend’s ordination. Hmmm ………. interesting. Whatever you think about Oprah, or what she does, she is an amazing person and an amazing phenomenon.

I guess I have preached Oprah’s quote for decades now. I hope that it has been helpful now and then. I have found it so in my life – but I also have to confess that I don’t listen to my own advice as much as I want to. This past Sunday, the Gospel at the Eucharist was the story of Jesus calling James, John, Peter and Andrew; they immediately leave their jobs and family and follow. This is a parable of Oprah’s words. The four disciples [i.e., students, learners] saw Love in the Flesh, and let go of the fears. Oprah said, “We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are.” We need to fly, not just crawl. To fly we have to leap.

I’m heading into another adventure. I’ve had many in my life. But I admit that I haven’t approached them as primarily an opportunity to choose Love. I’m going to try to remember.

If you want to ponder some other things that Oprah has said:

Surround yourself with only people
who are going to lift you higher. [and be a Lifter!]

The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the
complete person you were intended to be.



Brian+

No comments: