Monday, September 17, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, September 18, 2007


Life would be so wonderful if we
only knew what to do with it.


- Lovisa Gustafsson, born on this
day, 1905, in Sweden


Oh, I have been thinking about Lovisa’s words. They have made me understand something. They have made me understand today (have I said this before?) - understand? more, feel - how precious and how urgent and how glorious is this earthly life of ours!

What is the Past? I don’t know about you, but I don’t remember the Past or my Past very well. Especially if there was one before I was born. And once it’s Past, it’s Past, right? And many have said, you can’t change it; it’s done. And the Future, well, most of us don’t think about the Future. We just assume that there is one! Tomorrow is another day. But I’ve had enough (three is enough!) experiences of almost dying that I know you can’t really count on tomorrow arriving and finding you alive - though I think it’s “human” to make that assumption, make plans. Lovisa however did say, “There seems to be a law that governs all our actions so I never make plans.”

What we have is Right Now. Now is the moment to care, to understand, to repent, to love, to unburden, to give generously, to believe in yourself and others - to do all the things that advance our humanity in the image of the Divine Lover. This earthly Life is the “bird in hand”, to be made the most of. If we don’t, there is no bridge between the Past and the Future (including Afterlife) - hence, no connection.

The Past can be fascinating, but is done. The Future is a Mystery, though we often have great fantasies about it. Live every day, boldly and fully. From what I have learned in 62 years, I know what to do with it. I hope you do!

Lovisa Gustafsson? Greta Garbo.

Brian+

No comments: