Friday, September 7, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, September 07, 2007



Love - love is strange

lot of people take it for a game

Once you get it - you're in an awful fix
after you've had it - you never want to quit

Many people don't understand, no no
they think lovin', yeah yeah - is money in the hand

Your sweet lovin' - is better than a kiss, yeah yeah
when you leave me - sweet kisses I miss

- Buddy Holly (lyrics his), born on
this day, 1936



Born in Lubbock TX he was. At age 13, sang with a friend at local clubs and high school talent shows. Saw Elvis sing in 1955. He opened for Bill Haley & his Comets, turned to Rock & Roll, and, with the Crickets, opened (accidently!) at the Apollo in Harlem! After a gig in Duluth, a small chartered plane crashed, killing Holly, Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) and the pilot. Buddy Holly was 22.

You get maybe 22 years (or less). Maybe 101. Most of us get “educated”. How? What were you taught? About Life, I mean? When I think about it, I was “taught” by my early education to conform. Are we all, even today? No one ever taught me about the road “less travelled by” (Frost) ….. unless that Teacher was inside me. Maybe I heard it from sitting in First Presbyterian Church and listening to Jesus say to His disciples, “Come, follow Me, and they left everything and followed Him”.

Oh, you could stay in the same physical place all your life. But within oneself, for the inner Journey, I believe that the Journey can never even begin until the voice is heard to “take the road less travelled by”. Becoming fully human, fully Oneself (“one traveler”), will never happen on the road that doesn’t diverge in the yellow wood.

“Church” (of whatever religion) is about being equipped for the “road less travelled by”. Or should be. Even if the plane crashes early on, you’ll have done what was needed - become Human, really Human. Buddy implies it’s about Love and not quitting.

Brian+

No comments: