Friday, September 14, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Saturday, September 15, 2007


I don't expect you'll hear me writing any poems
to the greater glory of Ronald and Nancy Reagan.


- Robert Penn Warren, first Poet Laureate
of the United States, and Pulitzer Prize winner,
died on this day in Stratton Vt., 1989, age 84


So, I am a weak human being who cannot resist a great line! For my sheer delight, I request pardon of Nancy, and of Ronald - wherever he may be. I shall refrain from speculating.

Here are some poetic words from Warren:

But I had forgotten to mention an upland
Of wind-tortured stone white in darkness, and tall, but when
No wind, mist gathers, and once on the Sarré at midnight,
I watched the sheep huddling. Their eyes
stared into nothingness. In that mist-diffused light their eyes
Were stupid and round like the eyes of fat fish in muddy water,
Or of a scholar who has lost faith in his calling.
Their jaws did not move. Shreds
Of dry grass, gray in the gray mist-light, hung
From the side of a jaw, unmoving.
You would think that nothing would ever again happen.
That may be a way to love God.

(Here is to be found the entire poem: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15311

I feel like one of those sheep, when I ponder the Mystery called “God”. I suspect that this what the shepherds “abiding in the fields” in the Christian myth/truth story looked like – “shreds of dry grass …. unmoving” ….. “their eyes stared into nothingness”. I have, for many many years, pooh-poohed the image of sheep for human beings - dumb creatures paying no attention, too stupid to see danger, etc.

But, but …… What else should we be like except these awed sheep, unable to utter word, shift an eye, or move a jaw, in the presence of the power of Holy Love?! Is there anything more stunning than Unconditional Love flowing from the star-lit heavens, pointing to the indwelling God within each of us?? If we catch even a fleeting glimpse of this reality, would we not stand in utter amazement, struggling with unbelief to believe? Oh, it’s true. It’s true. Each human heart is a lowly manger. And in it, “God” is born. Look inside your heart, look deeply, free from prejudice, guilt, or self-judgment. There is your True Self. When you have recovered from your immobility - CHEER!

Brian+

No comments: