Monday, July 16, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, July 12, 2007


Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another.

- Desiderius Erasmus, thinker, who died on this day, 1536

Like all of us, I’ve gone through, go through, endless moments of self-doubt. And of judging myself by the standards or opinions, or worse, judgmentalisms of others. So, some time ago, I set my self my own standard. God.

Granted, the God I have come to know and, ok, the God I have chosen to accept as “true”. I do, however, believe that I have some objective basis for my understanding of God! Bottom line, God accepts me unconditionally. This, I have found, is the best platform from which to change and grow. This is important. Being “accepted unconditionally” doesn’t mean we have no responsibility to mature. It’s just the best way to be free for this journey. As Erasmus also said, “It is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is”.


By “peevish and pedantic”, I think Erasmus means to say that when we make judgments about each other, it is all filtered through the normal human wierdnesses. If we accept these judgments as “true”, we are already at a disadvantage, and it’s hard to get beyond these burdens.

There is a corollary to this. If you find a true friend, or anyone, who accepts you unconditionally, be glad. This is a gift greater than any other.

Brian+

No comments: