Saturday, July 28, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Saturday, July 28, 2007


Yes, I went once to the land of Sicily too,
I went to Euboia's vineyard-covered plain,
And to Sparta, that splendid city on Eurotas' reedy banks;
And everywhere I went they welcomed me with kindness.
But no pleasure came to my heart from any of them:
So true is it, after all, that nothing is dearer than one's homeland.

Theognis of Megara, Greek poet, born on this day, c 540 BCE


If I may obtusely paraphrase the young lawyer’s question to Jesus, “And what is my homeland?.

I was born in Canada. I don’t consider it my “homeland”. I’m an American citizen too. I don’t consider it my “homeland”. I’ve lived in many parts of the world. I don’t consider them my homeland. And, contrary to what St. Paul said about the Christian’s homeland being in Heaven, I don’t consider Heaven my homeland either, unless “Heaven” is understood as a simple metaphor for comfortableness with one’s truest humanity.

“Homeland” is a state of mind. One chooses it. I long ago chose mine. I feel I am “home” in the fellowship of the just, the caring, the vulnerable, the nonjudgmental, the kind, the generous, the forgiving, the grateful, the joyful. Oh, often I am far from Home, in my heart, or emotionally [physicality has nothing to do with it], or intellectually, or in the realm of the feelings.

But that is no matter. The critical matter, as Theognis says, is to hold “Home” dear, and to return no matter how far one wanders.

It feels to me that much of the human race has wandered far from Home. It makes me deeply sad. Why, only this week I received three emails with flag-waving slogans indicating that people who criticize America are unpatriotic and un-American and should leave. I guess America can’t be “home” if you disagree?

I know where my Home is. And I keep wondering what it is I might be doing to keep the home-fires burning brightly and warmly. It’s a daily challenge!

Brian+

No comments: