Saturday, July 21, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Saturday, July 21, 2007


I'm not fancy. I'm what I appear to be.

- Janet Reno, one-time (and first woman)
Attorney General, born on this day, 1938


Well, I remember Ms. Reno. She certainly appeared “not fancy” to me. Simple, down-to-earth, a competent woman of few well chosen words – and a few well-chosen not-spoken words when being harassed by the so-called Religious Right (or, as I refer to them, the Neither Eithers).

Jesus once said about one of His followers, “Behold, an Israelite without guile.” The man was startled, wondering how Jesus knew him. “Before you came, I saw you, under the fig tree”, Jesus said - presumably not physically/literally. The implication seems to be that persons “without guile” are rare.

Guilelessness (which is what I think Ms. Reno intended by “not fancy”) is a great gift, or achievement. “Keeping up appearances”, as Hyacinth Bucket (Boo-kay) hilarious showed, is exceeding tiresome and a waste of energy.

Better just to be yourself. Makes Life a lot less stressful.

Brian+

No comments: