Thursday, July 19, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, July 20, 2007


I do often turn backward when I pass
By with this body that in pain I bear,
And then I receive comfort from your air
Which causes it to move, and say: "Alas!"
Then thinking of the sweet treasure I leave,
Of the long journey, of my life's short round,
I stop my walk, and pale, dismayed, I grieve
And bend my eyes in tears toward the ground.
Sometimes a doubt assails my deep distress:
How can these limbs go on living at all,
So far away from their soul's happiness?
But then Love answers me: "Don't you recall
That lovers have the privilege to be
Rid of each human trait and quality?"

- A sonnet of Petrarch, Italian poet
and scholar, born on this day, 1304


How I would have loved to be Francesco Petrarca! He abandoned law after his father died, and became a scholar and poet. After reading Cicero, he became a passionate lover of all the classics. He undertook the collection of ancient manuscripts, scouring cathedral and monastic libraries all over Europe - that appeals to me! His private library was the first of its kind. He is lauded as the founder of Renaissance Christian humanism, “harmonizing classical genius with divine revelation”. Would that we had a lot more of his type in the world today!

His sonnet might be a little challenging – I doubt that many young people read sonnets these days, let alone Petrarch. But, hell, everyone would surely benefit from pondering a 700 year old sonnet upon rising from bed!!

Most of us are no doubt assailed every now and then with thoughts about “the long journey”, and about our own life’s “short round”. Dismayed by it all perhaps. But, reminds Petrarch, Love lifts us beyond the purely material nature of “these limbs”, reminds us that we are not so far away from our “soul’s happiness”, reminds us that we are spirit beings destined for the enjoyment of the eternal Journey, unconstrained by “each human trait and quality”.

Now: that should get you out of bed with a Petrarchan enthusiasm for the day!!

Brian+

No comments: