Monday, July 16, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, July 16, 2007


But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him,
he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds,
having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal,
brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took
out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him;
and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.’
Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell
into the hands of the robbers?” He said, “The one who showed him mercy.”
Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

- the Lucan version of the Good News, chap 10


Jesus is reported to have said that it was nothing if you only loved those who loved you – even the worst of people could do that. And he famously said, “Love your enemies”. This parable of the “Good Samaritan” was the reading for this past Sunday - and it really engaged me all week.

I talk and preach about Love all the time. “Where am I with this”, I asked myself all week. I don’t (I hope) actively “hate” anyone - but when it comes to controlling people, or homophobes, or religious “terrorists”, I despise and reject them - that’s coming close to hate. Here is this Samaritan. Different ethnic background and “tribe” of the assaulted man. And while two of the man’s fellow Jews wouldn’t even give him the time of day, the Samaritan superbly had compassion.

I said to my congregations that this is “Ratchet Up” Sunday if you are in any way a serious follower of the Christ - of the Message that each of us is a manifestation of Divine Compassion. Loving the “loveable” is easy. Nice people; people who love us; people who are supportive; people who think like us. Not a problem. But that only sustains the local tribe - and sets up one tribe against another. Look around the World - tribalism is destroying us. It’s Us against the Other.

The parable got to me. Selective love isn’t going to bring peace, understanding, cooperation, generosity, safety. Yet, for all the talk I hear from the present crop of American politicians who talk their “religious” talk, I have never heard one say that they woke up each day and asked God to help them love their “enemies” or how they would turn that core principle into action.

The parable is clear: every person who touches our lives directly or indirectly is our neighbour. All require mercy. However that is to be worked out in each of our lives, each of us, like the Good Samaritan, must “go and do likewise”.

Or we shall continue to reap the misery we sew.

Brian+

No comments: