Friday, February 1, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Saturday, February 2, 2008


I AM AWAKENED TO LOVE
I HAVE FORGOTTEN THE FEAR
I WILL REMEMBER THE JOY
FOR I AM AWAKENED, I AM AWAKENED,
I AM AWAKENED TO LOVE.


- Louise Hay, therapist, teacher


For some reason, today has been filled with thoughts of all of my friends who died from the complications of AIDS. One, Art, will be remembered in the planting of a tree tomorrow at St. Benedict’s, Los Osos, CA. One, Mike, a priest, had a great gift of healing. One was a beautiful dancer. One had been a Marine. Sara, a wonderful, in-your-face Hispanic woman, borrowed a beautiful dress to be baptized in at my parish. At Paul’s funeral, his partner, an American Indian, pushed his casket down the aisle chanting the lament for a lost warrior. When Earl died, a great bowler, I began my homily by rolling his bowling ball down the aisle. In San Francisco, I went to see the lovely memorial his parish had installed for Father Bob, a seminary classmate. So many more.

It was a challenging, exhausting time, caring for them all. But far greater was the outpouring of love and affection and laughter and service.

And we would sing. I remember Louise Hay’s chant, the one I’ve quoted.

And many is the morning I awaken and the words are going through my mind.

Awaken to Love.
Forget the fear.
Remember the Joy.

It is a fine simple plan for each day.

Brian+

No comments: