Friday, February 8, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, February 8, 2008


All journeys have secret destinations of which
the traveler is unaware.

For sin is just this, what man cannot by its very nature
do with his whole being; it is possible to silence the conflict
in the soul, but it is not possible to uproot it.

There are three principles in a man's being and life,
the principle of thought, the principle of speech, and
the principle of action. The origin of all conflict between
me and my fellow-men is that I do not say what I mean
and I don't do what I say.

- Martin Buber, thinker, philosopher, theologian,
born on this day, 1878



I’m being “lazy” today. Three quotes from Martin Buber for you to ponder. The third is self-evident, I think. The question it raises for me is, WHY do I not say what I mean? Mostly, I think, because I am not willing to defend my thoughts or beliefs, or they are in flux. (The latter is certainly true for me on most things!)

The second is a new way to think about “sin” for me! - the failure to be fully who I “am”. I assume that Buber has a definition of “who we fully are” as human beings.

The first I love because I want to believe it’s true. Life is recognizing and enjoying the surprises that hive over the horizon! Do we, I wonder, determine the destinations, but keep them secret from ourselves?

Blessings on your day.

Brian+

No comments: