Monday, June 18, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, June 18, 2007


The only thing that is real is the being in you that is going to die.

- Carlos Castaneda, author


Wrong ….. and Right. (Carlos Castaneda didn’t “do” anything on this day; I just like the quote.)

The “Being in You” is the fire of God, Divine Life. If we “do” this living thing rightly, the “being ….. that is going to “die” ‘, metaphorically speaking, is the “you” that is defined by our material bodies. This is not the “real”, though our material bodies are the gracious vessel of the Spirit, and to be honoured and treasured.

Symbolically speaking, we must die in order to become more alive, more vibrant, more true to our essential Being which shares in God’s life, flows from God’s life. “Though we die, yet shall we live”, says the burial service of the Book of Common Prayer. We are buried with Christ in His death in order that we may rise with Him, says St. Paul about baptism.

So, I “discover” that I am a Gnostic Christian. You just never know, do you?

Brian+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr.Brian, I agree with you that all
who believe in the Lord,Jesus, ought to be as compassionate as he was.And lately,I have been looking
at the Gnostic Books on line.I've always believed our God to be a merciful and loving Father.I find the Gnostic teaching to be spiritually uplifting. I also want to thank you for posting the weekly lessons. Bless You, Susan