Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, December 13, 2007

There are hermit souls that live withdrawn
In the place of their self-content;
There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
In a fellowless firmament;
There are pioneer souls that blaze their paths
Where highways never ran --
But let me live by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead
And mountains of wearisome height;
That the road passes on through the long afternoon
And stretches away to the night.
But still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice,
And weep with the strangers that moan,
Nor live in my house by the side of the road
Like a man who dwells alone.


- Sam Walter Foss, poet (part of his
poem based on similar words of Homer)


I am a big fan of the Episcopal Hymnal. I love the hymns in it and I know them all, many by heart, including the tenor line! It is said that Episcopalians sing what they believe, and what we pray. I have my funeral service leaflet in my little packet ready for when I croak - there will be lots of singing. I have to admit that I hear a lot of bitching and complaining about the hymns we sing, that they “don’t know them”. I am entirely unsympathetic. I’ve said many a time, “Don’t worry; by the time I leave, you will know them!”

Many of our hymns are ………. “sophisticated”? Would that be an appropriate word? Some might say “convoluted”, some “strange”. Many are ancient, many Victorian poetry; that can require some close attention and meditation.

Like poetry. I think I have commented that I can’t understand 75% of the poems in the New Yorker magazine, which I read cover to cover. But then there are certain hymns that strike a chord in their utter simplicity, simplicity in every way. Many of them I don’t like because they are, to me, “sentimental” - not a character I like in general.

But I will admit that “What a friend we have in Jesus” is ….. OK (as long as it isn’t overdone). I guess because I deeply value all of the wonderful friends I have had. They remind me that of all the things that “God” means to me, an unconditionally loving Friend is among the most important. True friends may not countenance all the nonsense one says or does, but they will always be there when needed.

I don’t need God to redesign nature or biology or time or mortality for me. I just need God always to be there.

So far, so good.

Brian+

No comments: