Monday, December 3, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, December 3, 2007


If some longing goes unmet, don't be
astonished. We call that Life.


- Anna Freud, Austrian/English
psychoanalyst, born on this
day, 1895


Yep. Madam Freud is on the money. I often think about Jesus and the motley crew that He gathered around Himself. I hope He wasn’t trying to do what Madam Freud also once said, “Create around one at least a small circle where matters are arranged as one wants them to be.” Because if Jesus was trying to do that, I question His judgment! What a bunch, those disciples. Power-mad, or in-fighting, or wanting to do in opponents, or chopping off people’s ears, or elitist, or racist (Samaritans, ugh), etc.

Or, Jesus just understood Life, and knew that what He might have hoped for in a band of disciples was …. well, a longing not to be met, given human nature. That’s Life. He made the best of it - and still has to!

As I review my Life, I realize that many of my longings have been met. I have fine friends. I have had a vocation in which I’ve been a help to some people. I’ve seen glorious places on the Earth. I’m happy (in general) with the basic me, and have been accepted for myself by enough to make it ok, and best of all “God”. Some longings have gone unmet, though one in particular I thought never would be has indeed been. Anna has reminded me not to be astonished that some haven’t and probably never will be.

We call that Life. I’m on the plus-side of it - and I hope you are too!

Brian+

No comments: