Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, February 20, 2008

[ Picture of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II, died 1790 ]


- Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II,
died on this day, 1790


Who would have thought that a Holy Roman Empire existed in 1790!!! The only Holy Roman Emperor I am “familiar” with is Charles V (1519-56). He was the uncle (have I got this right?) of Catherine of Aragon, who was married to Henry VIII of England. Henry wanted to divorce her, but the Pope – who normally granted annulments to royals - refused. Why? The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V was at that time besieging Rome (I’m not sure why) - and the Pope knew that if he granted the annulment, Rome and he would be destroyed. So goes History. And so goes the eventual “founding” of the Anglican Church and the Anglican Communion. To me, it’s more hilarious than anything else!

What a dude is Joseph II! Look at that outfit. Can you imagine any American man dressing like that? Well you should because they did at that time. Powdered wigs, silk, etc. Sometimes I think it would be fun if we could get “there” again. However, they can keep the wigs. I have always loved the idea of things on my head (hats), but I can’t stand it practically.

So. Am I going to say anything useful?

No. Today is Useless Day. A moment to contemplate the silliness of Life and History. Is it not amazing how things develop??!! It is said of Joseph II: “He was a friend to religious toleration, anxious to reduce the power of the church, to relieve the peasantry of feudal burdens, and to remove restrictions on trade and knowledge”. Alas. Good ideas, but failure. Too many other men (yes, men) who had other ideas.

Joseph II was the titular King of Jerusalem. Whoa!

I remember words that end, something about “wind, signifying nothing”.

We need “signifying nothing” every now and then.

Brian+

No comments: