Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, February 21, 2008


Each contact with a human being is so rare,
so precious, one should preserve it.


- Anais Nin, author, poet, born on this day, 1903



I confess that I am not a very helpful priest when people ask me how to “do” certain liturgical rituals. Should the corporal be placed on the altar with the cross to the front or back? Should the candles be put out left to right, or right to left? When and where and how should one bow or genuflect at the altar, or at the Blessed Sacrament? What should one do if wine is spilled on the altarcloth, or the Host drops to the floor? There are a thousand such questions. And every parish, probably every priest or acolyte mistress, has a different way of doing things.

I guess it irritates me that people think there is a “right” way and a “wrong” way to do things, mechanically speaking. My experience has taught me that when you start thinking that way, the heart or core has been lost. As an example, I remember a brother in religion who did not believe in the “Real Presence” in the Sacrament. So, when it came time to deal with the crumbs on the corporal (my apologies, you non-religious types!), he would ostentatiously pick it up at two ends and flap it in the air, rather than simply fold it or carefully funnel the crumbs to the paten.

My standard answer is, “Whatever you do, do it quietly, unfussily, and above all reverently”. My assumption is that people know what this is. I seem to be wrong. This may indicate a problem in the World!

We Catholic Christians treat the Blessed Sacrament, and “holy places” and things, reverently. We believe that the Sacrament is a vivid sign of God’s Presence among us.

Reverence to “holy things” in worship is, however, a pointer. A pointer to what Nin alludes to. God is in each of us, in every human being. Or, every human being is an icon of God. Or, every human being is god(ess)-like. The encounter is rare and precious. Think how different interpersonal relationships would be if every person saw the Holy in the other - always!

Each contact with a human being is so rare, so precious. What a superb way to approach life together.

Brian+

No comments: