Monday, August 20, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, August 21, 2007


Contrary to several conflicting stories, I got the name "Count" right in Kansas City in 1936 while at the Reno Club. I was known as Bill Basie at that time. One night, while we were broadcasting, the announcer called me to the microphone for those usual few words of introduction. He commented that Bill Basie was a rather ordinary name, and further that there were a couple of well-known bandleaders named Earl Hines and Duke Ellington. Then he said, `Bill, I think I'll call you Count Basie from now on. Is that all right with you?' I thought he was kidding, shrugged my shoulders and replied, `OK.'

- Count Basie, born on this day, 1904


Remember that you are of the “royal priesthood”. Does this apply only to Christians? No. It means that you, all of us, are conveyors of this great Mystery that some call “God”. Each of us glows with the light of Eternity. We stand at the altars of Life - places of sacrifice, of giving, of celebration, of thanksgiving, of hilarity, of wonder - offering ourselves and carrying each other who are not able at that moment to transcend the burdens that Life loads on us. But we lift a royal head, a noble head, and a noble voice, shouting out who we truly are and calling all people to come to the gathering.

I’ve just arisen after 24 hours in bed - reaching for a bag. My back filled with pain and I collapsed on the couch, could not get to worship, reading Harry Potter for 24 hours as my body tensed up and spasmed. Finally, I am sitting at the computer, writing, aware of fragility, rejoicing in being human, using a walker brought by friends to get me up off the chair - but glad to be alive and human and a “spark of God”.

Press on, friends! We are called to be a Royal Priesthood – offering our humanity to the happiness and freedom of all men and woman.

Brian+

No comments: