Monday, April 2, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, April 3, 2007


I don't think it's the nature of any man to be monogamous.
Men are propelled by genetically ordained impulses over
which they have no control to distribute their seed.

- Marlon Brandon, actor, born on this day, 1924


Marlon Brando! An amazing man! I have no idea if he was a “good” actor. It always seemed to me he was “just being himself”. I didn’t see “On the Waterfront” until a few years ago – then I was able to ignore the context and just look at the “acting” – brilliant! “The Godfather”? Brilliant!

But his comment raises an interesting theological conundrum. Bottom line, I agree with him. Men are not made to be monogamous. Period. I shall refrain from saying anything about women because I am (a) not one and (b) not a sociologist. I shall be happy to hear from any woman who has an opinion on the topic.

But: all this raises an interesting topic. Does “God” (by which I mean, “The Way the Universe is Organized”) want everyone to be “just as they are/created”?, or does God want human beings to “adjust” to whatever makes living easier?? Very interesting question!!!

Well: I think God wants the other animals to “Do Their Thing”. Life (biologically) has to go on. But: we human beings are different. We have a deeper destiny - and I shall refrain from calling it “moral” since religious Nazis have co-opted the term. That destiny involves striving for the full destiny of being human/divine. Christian thought says that that means, Becoming Like God. And the God we are becoming like is, in my experience, Worthy and Glorious and Spectacular. And most of all - Love Incarnate.

Hard-wired, men are “made” to “distribute their seed”. And women to “tend the community”. (Please chastise me if you think otherwise!) But:: Being Human calls us to be “a little lower than the angels” - i.e., destined to transcend the “basics”.

It’s a fabulous Journey! Becoming - as was Jesus - fully human and fully divine. What could be better that spending our lives striving to be Perfect Love??!!

Brian+

No comments: