Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, April 16, 2007


I have no further use for America. I wouldn't go
back there if Jesus Christ was President.

- Charlie Chaplin, actor, born on this day, 1889


Well, to me this is a quote filled with great sadness - as well as great truth re. our dear land at this time in history. I kind of laugh with a sense of “Oh Lord”! Whose Jesus Christ?! If it were the Jesus Christ of many of the loud, outspoken “Christians” in America these days, I wouldn’t stay here. Living under some of the “Christs” projected by many of the professed Christians these days would be like living under Hitler, or Caligula, or a crazed version of Shiva. There was another name I was going to mention – Grace has preserved me!

I preached today about the beauty and the glory of God. Seen in that awesome figure that John the Evangelist describes in the Revelation - a figure I saw in an icon in the monastery on Patmos where John is reported to have penned the Revelation. The figure that represents God’s desire that all people should know the power and peace of God’s amazing Compassion and Peace.

The principles of America’s founding are high, lofty, inspirational. In many ways I believe that they do represent what God would want for Her people. Freedom (in the most profound sense). Compassion. Acceptance of God’s spectacular diversity. Accorded dignity. Honour. Acceptance of new truths.

I reject the Jesus Christ that many today would have as “President”. It is a perverted picture. Let us enshrine as “President” the radical Love that is seen in the Son of Man that John saw in his visions. Glorious. Beautiful. Shining. Radiant with Love.

Brian+

No comments: